Friday, June 22, 2007

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
- Miss Piggy

Sorry, I just liked that quote so much I had to put it down. It's funny, you know, so many group members talking about final thoughts and it's all over, etc., and I'm wondering what's going to happen after Friday? I would like to continue blogging here. I value the comments from my buddies in the cohort, and I wonder, if I keep posting, will they keep commenting? I really like the comments, and I have a feeling that if I keep posting, I may never see another comment, other than the occasional junk mail-type message. Oh, well. I've really valued these reflections, and as Mr. Langston Hughes' mother said. "I'se still climbin'. . . " So I'll keep it up, I think.
Anyhow, back to Miss Piggy--you know, that chica has a head on her shoulders. Too many narcissists in this world. Yours truly included. Every now and then Americans need to be knocked on the head a little. Take this article on the global economy, titled "America Isn't Ready." Not exactly breaking news, as we've already read The World is Flat, but this kind of thing should still be on our minds, perhaps.
So anyhow, it seems to me that this web 2.0 thing is our chance. Look at Apple's company profile. Look at Google. Two of the most powerful, recognizable companies in the world. And where are they? Not in China or India. They're in California. Sure they're globalizing, but they're still in Cali. Hope springs.
So I'm just saying, perhaps the end is not quite near. Or perhaps it is. Nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact that I'm going to continue to try to give a realistic picture to my kids. "Hey, there's no guarantee that you're going to be handed everything for the rest of your life. So enjoy the Guitar Hero and the free iPhone now, but if you want to keep that stuff, you'd better work your butts off."
Out.

9 comments:

Wen~ said...

I think you should keep posting...
"Don't be afraid of the space between your
dreams and reality. If you can dream it,
you can make it so."
- Belva Davis

Tracey said...

Joe, it has truly been a pleasure working with you. I have my Google Reader set, the RSS feeds coming in and my blog is going to be going strong too. I don't see how we cannot all stay connected. Be seeing you Tuesday.......

Steve said...

I find myself going to my Google account and checking the blogs even if I don’t comment.

I think that we should keep this going. It provides a neighborhood where we can share ideas and concerns about education, technology and other issues.

We can also build this thing. We can invite others who are concerned about these issues and others. Richardson talks about creating these kinds of networks.

It would be great to continue and to get input from even more people.

Let's go global!

Shannon R. said...

Very nicely said! It should be in all our philosophies to prepare our students to be productive, responsible members of the 21st century...and beyond.

Kevin S said...

Your considered thoughts have been one of the highlights of this cohort. I think that it is fitting to continue blogging - for yourself and for your students. From time-to-time, I am going to visit our blogs, so that I can keep abreast vicariously.

I echo Tracey's comments about what a pleasure it has been working with you.

I've even learned a little about Shakespeare. Thanks!

Natalie's Google Account said...

Through continuing to blog we have a voice and can allow our thoughts to be shared with others. We might even find that having this voice may reduce stress, allow us to think through issues, and satisfy our search for more locust references! Enjoy your year with your students-share your enthusiasm, it is contagious.

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...

Joe, I think we should all keep posting! As Steve says we have created an online neighborhood. Personally, I like all the neighbors very much and now that we have built relationships with one another we should hold on to them. We can be a source of support, inspiration, and encouragement for each other. I just hope that our blogs don't disappear like Bill says our email accounts will! If so, we are just going to have to start new ones and send the urls to everyone in the cohort.

Marc Smith said...

Post on, post on. We will read; we will comment. We will share and thrive - Amen.